A look at the latest Newcastle United transfer rumors on Tuesday August 2.
Newcastle United backed to sign Julian Draxler
Former England number one Paul Robinson believes Julian Draxler would make five Newcastle United something different this summer, should the Magpies sign the winger from PSG. Eddie Howe’s side were linked with a £20-30m move for the World Cup winner last week as he looks to improve the Magpies squad this summer.
“Draxler would give Newcastle something different,” he told Football Insider. “He’s very good with the ball. He creates and can score goals. It would be a step up in quality.
“Draxler must have a very good agent because every summer he is linked with one of the Premier League clubs. You wonder where the links come from.
“If that were to happen, he would be an improvement on what they have in that area. He would provide some quality from midfield.
Newcastle United face competition from Timo Werner and need Chelsea’s cooperation in transfer pursuit
Newcastle United are hoping to land Chelsea misfit Timo Werner before the end of the summer but could face problems in their pursuit of the German striker. Werner is set to leave Stamford Bridge this month as he seeks regular first-team minutes ahead of the Qatar World Cup this winter.
Eddie Howe is desperate to improve his attacking options in the coming weeks and Werner is one of many players Newcastle are considering. Chelsea are ready to allow the 26-year-old to leave on loan with a permanent clause included in any deal.
However, Newcastle are not the only ones chasing the signing of Werner this summer. Former club RB Leipzig have inquired about a possible meeting at the Red Bull Arena, with Chelsea keen to snap up highly-rated full-back Josko Gvardiol in return.
“Timo Werner is not my player, is not our player. He is a Chelsea player,” Leipzig boss Domenico Tedesco said this week. “So I have a clear opinion on that. Not expressing myself, not positioning myself on players, who are not part of our club, who are not under contract in our club. In my opinion, it’s a matter of This is an important principle I have put in place for me.
You can read more here.
James Maddison maintained it would be a ‘huge success’ at Newcastle but was told to shell out more than £40million
James Maddison would prove to be a ‘huge success’ at Newcastle United – but the Magpies have been warned they will have to pay far more than their £40million opening offer. That’s the view from talkSPORT duo Alan Brazil and Ally McCoist, who have both delivered their verdict on the ‘fantastic’ Leicester City star.
Eddie Howe has so far been frustrated in his efforts to bring in attacking reinforcements this summer. Newcastle have landed top defensive target Sven Botman, while agreeing permanent deals for Nick Pope and Matt Targett.
However, the Magpies have again missed out on French wonderkid Hugo Ekitike despite agreeing with Reims for a second consecutive transfer window. The teenage striker opted to join Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain on a first-season loan deal.
A new striker and right winger remain on Howe’s shopping list, with a host of stars from the Premier League and across Europe linked. Maddison became the latest name to emerge, with Leicester turning down an initial offer of £40m over the weekend.
You can read more here.
‘You can see how happy he is’ – Brendan Rodgers rejects Newcastle United’s James Maddison offer
James Maddison’s offer and Newcastle’s shock £30m transfer appeal that proves new owners’ turnaround
Three ways Newcastle United could line up with James Maddison
Brendan Rodgers’ Newcastle United transfer prediction turned out to be true amid James Maddison links
Newcastle owners’ special guest gets a glimpse of the future with Amanda Staveley and Dan Ashworth